BRC Phase 3: seven research areas
The research areas (FO) are the backbone of BRC’s activities, and they all aim to contribute to the program goals and outcomes. The focus of the program is on “Process and technology development” regarding the digestion of different types of substrates and the processing of digestate / biogas residues in different biogas applications. Since the vision includes the biogas solutions’ resource efficiency, expansion and actual utilization of process and technology development, the program covers different system levels. The research areas thus address everything from the anaerobic digestion processes, through value chains and cross-sectoral collaboration in bioeconomy to local and regional development as well as national and international policy.
- FO1 Development and evaluation of anaerobic digestion processes
- FO2 Enhancing the value of digestate
- FO3 Resource-efficient value chains for biogas solutions
- FO4 The role of biogas solutions for the bioeconomy
- FO5 The role of municipalities and regions in the development of sustainable biogas solutions
- FO6 National and international biogas policy
- FO7 Internationalization of Swedish biogas solutions
BRC conducts research activities in the respective broad transdisciplinary research areas. In addition, knowledge is integrated, which leads to a new research front, the transdisciplinary integration of knowledge. The research areas mainly belong to one of two interfaces: between process / technology and the system level or between the system and society level. This means that the research that deals with process and technology development is carried out integrated with research on the performance of the studied systems. Societal research, which deals with actors and market and institutional conditions for biogas solutions, is also integrated with research on the performance and effects of the systems.